Inspiration Workshop - Innovative methods for solute flux measurement in the subsurface environment, with technology demonstration and practical field training
Innovative methods for solute flux measurement in the subsurface environment, with technology demonstration and practical field training
Wednesday 7 March : Principles and theoretical background (VITO, Mol)
- 12.50-13.00: Introduction and welcome (Ingeborg Joris, VITO, Belgium)
- 13.00-14.00: Good practices and pitfalls in conventional groundwater sampling (Instructors: Johan Vos, VITO, Belgium)
- 14.15-15.45: Passive sampling techniques to measure solute fluxes in the subsurface (Instructor: Goedele Verreydt, iFLUX, Belgium)
- 16.00-17.30: Using tracers to assess the movement of solutes in the subsurface environment (Instructor: Serge Brouyère, University of Liege, Belgium)
Thursday 8 March : Practical training in different methods and technologies (ULG, Liege)
- 08.30-17.00: Demonstration and hands-on training of different field-based methods for groundwater sampling, including conventional techniques, tracer tests and passive sampling techniques. This is provided at the University of Liege field site in Hermalle-sous-Argenteau. (Instructors: Johan Vos, VITO, Belgium; Goedele Verreydt, iFLUX, Belgium; Ilse Van Keer, VITO, Belgium; Pierre Jamin, University of Liege, Belgium).
Friday 9 March : Interpretation and use of flux measurements (VITO, Mol)
- 09.00-12.30 : Hands-on training in the interpretation and use of flux measurements. Participants will get a case study with data on concentrations and flux measurements collected with the different methods discussed. Using the appropriate calculation tools they will interpret the transport and dispersion of solutes in a groundwater body based on different types of measurements and the concentration and mass that will reach the receptors present. Particpants will have the opportunity to present the case to each other. (Instructors: Goedele Verreydt, iFLUX, Belgium; Ilse Van Keer, VITO, Belgium; Pierre Jamin, University of Liege, Belgium; Laurent Piron, Geolys, Belgium).
The fee for the workshop is €180
EU INSPIRATION - VITO, University of Liege, iFLUX
Register here: https://apps01.vito.be/VITOEvents/inschrijving/SoluteFlux2018.aspx