HIVA - Research Institute for Work and Society is a multidisciplinary research institute of KU Leuven. We are a team of more than 60 university researchers. HIVA has a unique position in KU Leuven and beyond because it brings various disciplines together and specialises in policy-oriented research on work and society. Our main priorities are scientific quality and social relevance.
We offer a PhD scholarship to a candidate with strong statistical skills, for participation in a 4-years research on social inclusion through social investment in Belgium (Re-InVEST.be). The research focuses on the sustainability of social protection, not from a budgetary point of view, but in achieving sustainable livelihoods. Rather than allowing social benefit recipients to survive, a sustainable social protection should allow them to invest in themselves and their families, so as to maintain decent housing and health standards. The Re-InVEST.be research aims to study the (in)equality of access to social protection, as well as its impact on health care and housing conditions in the medium and long term.
The duty station is Leuven (HIVA premises).
● You hold a Master's degree (or equivalent) in welfare economics, social sciences or statistics, with excellent study results as well as statistical skills. You also have relevant knowledge of social policy.
● You are familiar with/interested in the theme of social inclusion.
● You have the social skills required to work in a team and establish relations with NGOs, people experiencing poverty and governmental services.
● You have some basic knowledge of Dutch or you are at least willing to learn Dutch for day-to-day communication with colleagues.
● Your oral as well as written English is fluent (research outputs need to be submitted in English).
● You have an analytical mind, you are fascinated by numbers, and you have excellent communication skills.
● You are sufficiently enterprising to take a creative approach, to develop and finalise a research project in a timely manner.
● A PhD scholarship, renewable each year for up to four years after positive evaluation. (The PhD scholarship is equivalent to the net salary of a junior researcher.)
● The opportunity to contribute to innovative research with significant social relevance and extensive learning opportunities.
● A pleasant working and team atmosphere in a multi-disciplinary, dynamic university team.
● Good supervision and the opportunity to specialise and follow training.
● HIVA attaches a great deal of importance to an organisational climate in which employees can actively contribute to the institution's objectives and in which they can develop their own talents. You will work in an environment where initiative is appreciated and personal commitment is encouraged.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Ides Nicaise, tel.: +32 16 32 33 37, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can apply for this job no later than March 31, 2020 via the online application tool :
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.